The former Sackville Methodist Church is located overlooking the Hawkesbury River at 520 Chapel Hill Road, Sackville North, New South Wales. It was constructed of finely quarried sandstone in 1869. The building served the local Methodist congregation until numbers dwindled and by the 1970s and the decision was made to cease services in the church. The property was sold by the Uniting Church in 2004 and remained derelict and subject to vandalism for many years. The current owners have made the property their family home and restored the fabric of the church.
The simple doorway of the former Sackville Methodist Church which was opened in 1869. Cathy McHardy September 2003
The first Methodist Church service at Sackville was conducted in February 1824 by the Rev William Horton from Windsor Parish. A small timber chapel was constructed immediately and opened in April 1825. The chapel was used as a church on Sunday and a school during the week. This small building became inadequate as congregation grew in size and another building was erected in 1845 on 15 acres of land granted to the church by the Crown on 7 February that year. This chapel was destroyed in the great flood of 1867. A solid sandstone church was constructed over looking the river in 1869 at a cost of £360 which was opened on 23 September by Rev Joseph Homer Fletcher. A memorial tablet inside the church commemorated the contribution of Rev James Sommerville during his period of ministry from 1874 to 1884.
Methodist Cemetery, Sackville North. Cathy McHardy September 2003
Below the church on the riverbank is a small cemetery which includes members of the Cavanough, Everingham, Chaseling, Mitchell and Douglass families. There is a listing for this cemetery on the Find-a-Grave website which includes 64 burials.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published