Singletons Reserve located in Mill Road, Kurrajong New South Wales was gazetted by the NSW Geographical Names Board in September 2012. The name commemorates the construction and operation of two water mills by brothers James and Benjamin Singleton on Little Wheeny Creek between 1810 and 1816. In 1816, one was advertised for sale in the Sydney Gazette and NSW Advertiser.
a complete Overshot WATER MILL, and 100 Acres of good LAND, known by the name of the Kurrajong Brush, distant from Windsor about 9 miles, where there is a constant supply of water, the Mill being built on the Winney [sic] Creek, by which said Farm is bounded on the eastward, and on the westward by the Mountains, from the situation of which there is an excellent run for cattle.— The Mill will be engaged to be capable of grinding 40 bushels of wheat daily, and from there being no Mill within a considerable distance, it will have constant work.
The mill was not sold but was leased to John Town of Richmond until about 1819. The reserve contains surviving elements of the mill race and other structures. In November 1922 two stones from the mills were found along the creek by workmen constructing piers for a bridge. The stones are now displayed in the village of Kurrajong.
The two millstones on display in Kurrajong village adjacent to Memorial Park. Cathy McHardy October 2016.
Find out more about the site of Singletons Reserve from the Conservation Management Strategy prepared for Hawkesbury City Council in September 2017.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published