A new St Monica’s Catholic Church was built on the site of the old convent in 1982.
Advert for the preparatory school for boys at Richmond. ‘in the beautiful Hawkesbury District, Climate unrivalled’.
St Francis De Sales Convent was opened by the Sisters of the Good Samaritan on 1 January 1883 taking over the parish which had been established some years previously. The school accepted both boarders and day pupils, boys and girls. In 1900 the decision was made to replace girl boarders with boys under twelve years. The school proved to be very popular and by 1906 the numbers of boys had reached 40 pupils. The Good Samaritan Sisters continued to operate the boarding and day schools until 1943 when when the convent was handed over to the Poor Clare Sisters from Waverley. The school closed and the convent building was demolished in 1975. A new parish church was constructed on the site in 1982.
Photograph taken during the demolition of convent building then known as St Clare’s Convent, Windsor Street, Richmond.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published