Located on the western side of the Macdonald River on private property on the road to St Albans from Wisemans Ferry, near where Books Ferry used to cross the river.
The church was constructed on land donated by John Watson (aka Whelan or Whalan) and the foundation stone was laid by Bishop Bede Polding in 1839.
Ruins of St Joseph’s Catholic Church, Part Portion 1, lot 1, DP 605173. Heritage item no. 427. St Joseph’s Cemetery, part Portion 1, lot 2, DP 605173. Heritage item no. 428.
Portion 1, Parish of Wonga, County of Hunter comprising 60 acres granted to John Watson, situated across the Macdonald River from Books Ferry crossing.
Foundation stone was blessed by Bishop John Bede Polding on 22 December 1839. The donor of the land, John Watson called the site Mount St. Joseph and the cost of building £300. Built of locally quarried sandstone with walls 2 feet thick. Triple lancet window on eastern side. Stone mason named in early records was Patrick Leary. Architect was possibly Henry Edmund Goodridge. By 1905 the church was in disrepair. The church had been burnt out by fire in 1898 and stones had been removed for the construction of other buildings in the area. The disastrous flood of 1889 had destroyed farms along the river and from that time the population was in decline.
[http://stjosephsrestorationstalbans.blogspot.com.au] For information and photographs of the restoration of this church by the owner.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published