St Joseph’s High School, Mileham Street, Windsor was established by the order of the Sisters of the Good Samaritan in 1882. This small school included both boarders and day pupils. The total enrolment in 1952 was about 30 students. The school continued to operate until 1965 and in 1979 the convent buildings except for the chapel were demolished. The portion of land occupied by the convent ran from the Macquarie Street frontage to Mileham Street at the rear of the block.
The boarding school in connection with St Joseph’s Convent for boys under 12, is progressing well, although room for one or two borders can be found. There is quite a happy family of little fellows.
In 1875 the Sisters of the Good Samaritan established their community in Windsor. The first convent was in rented premises in George Street, Windsor. In October 1878 the nuns moved into their permanent convent, formerly the presbytery in Macquarie Street which had been renovated for the purpose. A chapel was also constructed adjacent to the school building. A successful bazaar held in 1881 raised sufficient funds to repay all debts on the convent buildings. Following the Public Instruction Act of 1880 the girl’s high school known as St Joseph’s Convent was established in 1882. There was also a small primary school and a small boarding school for boys established at this time. Running of these two school were transferred to the order of the Poor Clare Sisters in 1943. St Joseph’s Convent for girls closed in 1965.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published