St Matthew’s Anglican Church and Cemetery, Windsor, New South Wales. Cathy McHardy January 2011
Predating St Matthew’s Anglican Church (1817) located in Moses Street, Windsor, New South Wales is the burial ground surrounding the church (1810). Enterprising ex-convict and friend to Macquarie, Andrew Thompson, was buried there following his untimely death in 1810. The stone covering his grave (to the north-east of the church), was commissioned by Macquarie and is inscribed with an emotional tribute to Thompson’s life and achievements.
Grave of Andrew Thompson (1810), friend of Gov Lachlan Macquarie. Cathy McHardy January 2011
The cemetery also includes the graves of other notable Hawkesbury citizens including Dr Thomas Arndell, Captain John Brabyn, William Cox and John Tebbutt. Memorials in the cemetery range from the most simple to elaborate high Victorian marble monuments.
The cemetery was recently the victim of vandalism and a crowd funding campaign has been instigated by Hawkesbury historical Society to raise funds for the repair of monuments in this important cemetery. Read more about this campaign in the Hawkesbury Gazette
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published