St Matthew’s Anglican Church, commenced in 1817. Cathy McHardy January 2011
Located in Moses Street, Windsor, New South Wales , St Matthew’s Anglican Church is the masterpiece of the convict architect Francis Greenway, who was retained by Governor Macquarie to rectify the poor standard of building in the colony. The church which was built on a site selected specifically for the purpose under Governor Macquarie’s direction, and is one of the most beautiful buildings in Australia. The corner stone was laid by Governor Macquarie in October 1817 and the building was consecrated in December 1822 with Samuel Marsden conducting the opening service.
The church is listed on the NSW Heritage Inventory as an item of state significance. Designed by Francis Greenway, the work of the original architect Henry Kitchen was condemned by Greenway. The foundation stone was laid by Macquarie 11 October 1817 and in 1818 the building was demolished and commenced again due to poor workmanship. The church was consecrated on 18 December 1822.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published