St Patrick’s Inn built by John Watson (or Whalen/Whalan) facing the river at the Books Ferry crossing. It was a substantial two story sandstone building built in 1848. It was later owned by John Henry Smith and remained in the Smith family until the 1970s. John Watson donated the land and £300 towards the construction of St Joseph’s Church on the hill behind his inn in 1839. John Watson was a convict, transported in 1811 per Providence.