Stahls Road, Oakville, NSW runs in a south easterly direction from the 5 ways roundabout with Wolseley Road, Smith Road, Broos Road and Oakville Road to Menin Road, Oakville. Documentary evidence which confirms that the road was named after the Stahl family has not been located, but it is very likely that it was.
The first mention of the surname Stahl in the Windsor and Richmond Gazette (WRG) was on 25 March 1921, which states that Mr Arthur Blacket had sold a portion of his property known as ‘Alneau Glen’ to Mr T Stahl who intends to use the land for poultry farming https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/85874496
In 1928, Doris Emily Stahl (spinster) purchased a 43 acre property (Portion 127 Parish of Pitt Town - Vol 3212 Fol 91) on the corner of Stahls Road and Bocks Road also from Arthur Blacket. The first mention of the road being called Stahls Road in the Windsor and Richmond Gazette was on 28 August 1925, with a complaint about the bad state of the road. https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/85896965 Stahls Road and many others were officially named by Windsor Municipal Council in 1960.
In July 1960 Windsor Municipal Council published a notice of proposal to confirm the existing names of some roads and streets, confer official names on those previously unnamed or alter the names of those previously named. No explanation was given for changes of name nor the selection of particular names for unnamed roads but the roads were often named after local landowners or early European settlers. Further details may be found in the minutes of Windsor Council meetings of the period. The advertised changes were confirmed by council in August 1960.
The road (known as Stahls Road) running generally south easterly from Oakville Road between portions 108 and 105, Parish of Pit Town, County of Cumberland to the road known as McKeevers Road [now Menin Road] - proposed name Stahls Road.
Windsor Municipal Council amalgamated with Colo Shire Council to form Hawkesbury Shire Council in January 1981 and was proclaimed Hawkesbury City Council in July 1989.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published