Stannix Park property is located at 103 Stannix Park Road, Wilberforce, New South Wales.
The house is thought to have been constructed in 1839 by William Hall on a grant known as ‘Portland Valley’ of 1280 acres in the Parish of Wilberforce, County of Cook. The house is described as:
a two storey stone farm house with a useable attic and a single storey rear skillion. The steep ( 55') pitched roof is of jerkin head design. The double stone walls which are 64 cm thick and rubble filled are laid in 150 mm courses with dressed quoins at the corners and at the doors and windows. The skillion and the upper part of the rear wall collapsed about 30 years ago and the stone was removed. The upper wall was rebuilt in brick soon after. Photographs from c. 1900 show that the skillion had a kitchen area at the north end and an open wooden store or stable at the south.
A 20th century verandah has been removed but during recent site clearing the base stones for four verandah posts were found together with the excavations in the rock platform in which they sat. The original verandah was 1.8 m wide and will be replaced later this year. The double doored archway to what was originally a cart or coach house has a keystone dated 1839 with the initials H.H. (presumed to be Henry Hall, the son of William Hall). The significance of a second inscription S11 is not known.
‘Mr J B Johnston will offer for sale this (Saturday) afternoon, at his sale-room, at 2 p.m., the Stannix Park property owned by the late Peter Derome. It is situated about 6 miles from Windsor, in the Parish of Wilberforce, and contains 640 acres, the greater proportion of which is ready for the plough. A fine stone house and outbuildings stand on the property. For full particulars read advertisment in this issue’.
Read more about the heritage listing for Stannix Park
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published