Located at 31 George Street, The Peninsula, Windsor, this gable fronted Victorian villa with scalloped barge boards and bay window set in a lovely cottage garden was built in 1893 for the sub-inspector of police at Windsor, John James Fitzpatrick. He named his residence ‘Tara’ in remembrance of his Irish heritage. The land was originally part of a 30 grant to Samuel Wilcox and remained in the Fitzpatrick family until 1905 when it was purchased by George John Gardner. In 1912 the home was sold to Hilton Stanley Johnston a descendant of Andrew Johnston of Ebenezer and remained with the Johnston family until the 1990s when it was purchased by acclaimed local artist Greg Hansell.
Fitzpatrick’s son, John Charles Lucas Fitzpatrick commenced publication of The Windsor and Richmond Gazette (now Hawkesbury Gazette) in 1888.
Senr-Sergeant Fitzpatrick’s residence on Dickson’s Hill is nearing completion, and is a very pretty structure. It will be ready for occupation in about two months' time. Mr Pickup is the contractor.
Retirement of Senior Sergeant John James Fitzpatrick of Windsor, presentation of an illuminated address and a silver tea and coffee service by the Windsor Bench of Magistrates. He had spent 24 years of his 36 year career at Windsor.
Obituary of John James Fitzpatrick who died at Tara on 26 November 1899, he was buried in the Windsor Catholic Cemetery.
Article on John James Fitzpatrick: 1830-1899 written by Carol Roberts.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published