Toxana is located at 147 Windsor Street, Richmond, New South Wales. In about 1842 William (brother of George Bowman) and Elizabeth Bowman constructed a new home on land originally granted to John Bowman but inherited by William on his father’s death in 1825. A substantial and imposing brick structure with sandstone quoins this building is reputed to have been constructed by James Melville (bricklayer) and George Marlin (carpenter) who were brought out from England for the purpose. The front entrance is delineated by semicircular sandstone steps and the twelve pane windows feature sandstone sills.
The top floor verandah roof is supported by iron balustrading in alternating patterns and lacework posts while the lower verandah has tapered timber Doric columns. William Bowman was a successful pastoralist, local philanthropist and in 1843 was the first Hawkesbury representative to be elected to the NSW Legislative Council, later serving in the NSW Legislative Assembly from 1856 until 1858. After William’s death in 1874, Elizabeth continued to live in the house until her death in 1886. Reverend James Cameron purchased ‘Toxana’ in June 1886 from the Bowman estate.
Local Methodist Minister, Rev J Kinghorn occupied the house until it was leased from February 1891 until 1896 as accommodation for the 20 first students enrolled at newly established Hawkesbury Agricultural College. For much of the 20th century the house was divided into flats having several owners over this time prior to being purchased and renovated by Windsor Municipal Council in 1978. The home is now privately owned and has undergone important conservation works in recent years.
This building has had a variety of uses being firstly built by James Melville (bricklayer) and George Marlin (carpenter) as a private home by 1841 for William Bowman and his family. In 1891 the building was used as temporary accommodation for students of the newly established Hawkesbury Agricultural College.
The Military authorities have taken “Toxana” for the headquarters of the 3rd Infantry Regiment, and from April 1st the business of the office will be carried on at new quarters. “Toxana” should be found much more suitable than the present building, and all the equipment in connection with the Regiment will now be transferred to Richmond.
Advertisement for the public auction of Toxana, estate of the late Ninian Charles Chandos Scouller on 28 May 1960 at 11am. Stuart Earle & Co.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published