Ulinbawn was a two-storey sandstone house built by Cyrus Mathew Doyle, eldest son of Andrew and Sophia Doyle. Doyle and his first wife Frances Smith had purchased John Yeomans' 65-acre farm grant known as Portion 51 in the Parish of Cornelia, County of Cook. The property occupied a peninsula of land on the bend of the Hawkesbury River between Kent Reach and Sackville Reach which he named Ulinbawn, after the old Wicklow home of the family, following the family tradition of naming properties after those in Ireland.
In December 1837, the property was advertised for lease in the Sydney Herald:
The buildings, consist of an excellent two storied Stone Mansion, unequalled for several miles round, having seven rooms, hall, pantry, and large kitchen, every way adapted to accommodate a family of the first respectability, the out-offices are a stone building for farm servants, a coach-house, stabling for six horses, barn, maize house, granary, piggeries, sheds, &c for carts or drays as well as a small garden and orchard. It’s being situated In a delightful prospective, embracing a great part of the healthful and invigorating banks of Sackville Reach.
Distant about nine miles from the town of Windsor, into which place there is a good carriage road, renders it an invaluable and desirable acquisition to such a person as a retired officer, the soil being good and productive, and every thing requisite neat and convenient, and possesses, besides a back run sufficient to herd thirty or forty head of cattle at least and has a road to the Great Maroota Forest.
Read more about the Doyle’s of Ulinbawn and https://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/doyle-cyrus-matthew-1990
The property is now occupied by Ulinbawn Ski Park and Anderson Farm.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published