The Upper Colo Bridge across the Colo River at Upper Colo, New South Wales was opened on 27 June 1936. The bridge connects the locality of Upper Colo with Colo Heights about 5 kilometres north via the Colo Heights Road. This road intersects the Putty Road just west of Colo Heights Public School. In 1936, the road from Richmond to Singleton in the Hunter Valley was known as the Bulga Road. The current route through Putty was not put through until World War Two.
The sturdy Upper Colo Bridge over the Colo River at Upper Colo NSW has withstood many floods since it was opened in June 1936. Cathy McHardy March 2009
In January of 1936, the company Solomon, Duffy and Solomon won the tender for the construction at a cost of £1587/17/- . Over 46 tons of ironbark timber was carried by train to Kurrajong Railway Station and then transported to the site. Funding for the project came in part from a grant given to the shire by the NSW government. The total cost including road works on either side of the river amounted to £3,000.
The Windsor and Richmond Gazette reported on the official opening celebration. The NSW Minister for Works and Local Government, the Hon E S Spooner accompanied by his wife, cut the ribbon in the prescence of about 200 local residents. Also in attendance the President of Colo Shire Council Cr A Buckland.
In the style of “Captain De Groot”, a visitor to the area attempted to pre-empt the official ceremony by cutting the ribbon and declaring the bridge open himself! The interloper was hauled off the bridge by locals and a new piece of ribbon placed across the structure.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published