An attempt was made in 1881 to subdivide Lot 6 (part of Hall’s purchase of Blighton being Thomas Tyler’s portion 46) into a second township to be called Vermont by the Haymarket Permanent Land, Building and Investment Company. This was unsuccessful for in 1890 Pitt Town area was still being described as rural with only a single small village that had developed from Macquarie’s town, consisting principally of a very long street with an Episcopal Church and Presbyterian Church, public school, one inn and a number of dwellings very little changed from its formation.
Abstract of the title of the Haymarket Permanent Land, Building and Investment Company, Limited to land situate in the parish of North Colah, and also at Vermont situate in the parish of Pitt Town, being portion of the Hall Estate. Conveyance from Matthew Smith Hall and William Henry Mackenzie to the Haymarket Permanent Land, Building and Investment Company, Limited for the sum of £2,574, dated 8 March 1882. The Vermont Estate amounted to 105 acres. Book 240 Folio 757.
The land at Pitt Town comprising 110 acres was first granted to Thomas Tyler (or Tylor) in 1797 and was known as Tylor’s Farm. In early 1807 Governor Bligh purchased 146 acres along the York Reach of the Hawkesbury River including Tyler’s Farm and subsequently adding a further 110 acres.
Governor Macquarie stopped at Blighton which he described as Governor Bligh’s Farm situated about 6 miles from Green Hills on the right (south) bank of the river. The property was known as Vermont from the 1890s.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published