The bridge over Wheeny Creek was situated on Comleroy Road approximately 6 kilometres from Upper Colo, New South Wales. In 1898 the NSW government called for tenders for the erection of the bridge. The local residents had been petitioning for the construction of a bridge at this river crossing for many years and local member of parliament William Morgan was credited with successfully obtaining funding was finally set aside for this purpose.
The tender for the low level timber beam structure submitted by W Whiting of Parramatta at a cost of £341 was accepted in early April of 1898 and construction commenced without delay. Progress was reported in the Windsor and Richmond Gazette of 18 April.
Work has been commenced in connection with the erection of the bridge over Wheeney Creek, and Mr J Wholohan has the contract for supplying the girders. The bridge will be a great boon to travellers along this road, and Mr Morgan is to be commended for having persisted in pestering the Works Department until he secured it.
The bridge remained in use until 1990/91 when repeated flood damaged caused it to be replaced by a ford. The Wheeny Creek Reserve is a free camping ground within Wollemi National Park and is managed by NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published