Type: 
Location: 
Rating: 
Map Location: 
Sources: 
Source Reference: 

p 32

Source Notes: 

One of five towns named by Governor Lachlan Macquarie at a dinner at the Government Cottage, Windsor on 6 December 1810. Wilberforce was named in honour of politician and humanitarian William Wilberforce whom Macquarie admired.

Source Reference: 

34486

Source Notes: 

Named in 1810 by Governor Macquarie to honour William Wilberforce (1759-1833), a philanthropic English politician who campaigned energetically for the abolition of the slave trade and founded the Wilberforce Society. Its successor, the Anti-Slavery Society for the Protection of Human Rights, was founded in 1839 and is the oldest human rights organisation in the world.

Source Reference: 
Source Notes: 

A village about 4 km S of Freemans Reach, Boundaries within the Hawkesbury Council area shown on map GNB 3716.

Topographic Map: 
WILBERFORCE

Leave a comment

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.