One of five towns named by Governor Lachlan Macquarie at a dinner at the Government Cottage, Windsor on 6 December 1810. Wilberforce was named in honour of politician and humanitarian William Wilberforce whom Macquarie admired.
Named in 1810 by Governor Macquarie to honour William Wilberforce (1759-1833), a philanthropic English politician who campaigned energetically for the abolition of the slave trade and founded the Wilberforce Society. Its successor, the Anti-Slavery Society for the Protection of Human Rights, was founded in 1839 and is the oldest human rights organisation in the world.
A village about 4 km S of Freemans Reach, Boundaries within the Hawkesbury Council area shown on map GNB 3716.