This two-storey building is located at 607 Macquarie Street, South Windsor, New South Wales near the junction with George Street. It has also been known as McCann’s Flats in the 1920s and Yarrawonga Flats prior to 1965.
Two story brick building constructed by Rev Bernard Keenan in 1885 on land leased from the Hawkesbury Benevolent Society. Part of a grant of 13 acres to the society by Governor of NSW Lachlan Macquarie. The grammar school was first established in rented premises on the corner of Bridge and George Streets, Windsor. After Keenan died in 1909 it became evident that he had never been ordained and therefore not entitled to be called ‘Reverend’. The quality of the school was widely recognised during its operation by Keenan and was re-opened by Mr J B Little in 1909 but did not regain its standing in the community finally closing in 1915 when the property reverted to the Benevolent Society. Research by D G Bowd published in the Windsor and Richmond Gazette.
Principal of the school in 1901 was Mr J G Young.
Mr Brinsley Hall was returned by a substantial majority of 567 votes as the Member for Hawkesbury. He was educated at Windsor Grammar School and was aged 38 years, he was born near St Albans.
‘Mr Horace de Lissa, who was some few years since a teacher at Rev. B Keenan’s Grammar School was admitted to the NSW Bar this week.’
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published