After the Municipalities Act was passed by NSW parliament in 1858, local town councils were given to power to levy rates on freehold property. The Borough Council of Windsor was incorporated on 4 March 1871 and 9 alderman were elected with Robert Dick as the first mayor. In 1906 the borough became a municipality and the area was enlarged to include rural areas. Windsor and Richmond Councils were amalgamated in 1949. Windsor then amalgamated with Colo Shire Council in 1981 to form Hawkesbury Shire Council.