The first Post Office in Windsor opened in 1828 and was housed in a number of different private buildings, including The Doctors House in Thompson Square. This building designed by Colonial Architect James Barnet and built by Michael Leeds was opened in 1880. Thomas Cambridge II was postman at that time and the family tradition continued with his son Thomas III continuing on as postman until 1925. A single storey wing in Fitzgerald Street was added in the late 1890s to accommodate the telegraph and telephone service. In 1990 a new post office building was constructed in New Street and the former post office continues to be used for commercial purposes.
The records of post offices and personnel who worked in them come under the jurisdiction of the National Archives of Australia. A search of the website naa.gov.au reveals several files relating to the operations of Windsor Post Office. The National Archives also hold records of persons who worked in the Post-Master General’s Department. The NSW office of the National Archives is located at Chester HIll NSW. Contact the archives for further information: 120 Miller Rd, Chester Hill NSW 2163, phone: (02) 9782 4900, opening hours: 9am to 4.30pm, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
Former Windsor Post Office building on the corner of George and Fitzgerald Streets, Windsor.
Date of Opening: 1 March 1828.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published