The former Windsor Presbyterian Manse, also known as Lindfield House is located at 94 The Terrace, Windsor New South Wales. The cottage was owned by the Presbyterian Church from 1906 until 1958. From the 1920s, it was not occupied by the local minister but was privately leased by the church. The last Presbyterian minister to live in the house was Rev. G A Hill who moved out in December 1922.
The cottage was built on land which was originally part of a 20 acre grant to Thomas Rickaby (Riccaby) in 1798 described as Portion 21, Parish of St Matthew, County of Cumberland. The grant was known as Catherine Farm after Rickaby’s de facto wife, Catherine Smith. The land was subsequently sold to Samuel Terry and upon his death was purchased by Maria Cope, a successful businesswoman in the colony.
Cope purchased a total of 600 acres in the Windsor district from Terry’s estate in 1838 including Catherine Farm and proceeded to subdivide the land from the frontage with George Street through to The Terrace including the formation of New Street. Cope’s Subdivision resulted in the creation of over 40 new blocks which were progressively offered for sale and this block was Lot 16 in the Catherine Farm Estate.
From December 1898 the house was owned by Richard Skuthorpe (Tertius), then Elizabeth Ann and Isabel Busby from 1902. In August 1906 became the property of the Presbyterian Church for the accommodation of the local minister. The last minister to occupy the house moved out in the 1920s and from that time until 1958 it was privately leased including being the home of John and Ella Ross. In September 1958 the home was purchased from the Presbyterian Church by Hilda Gladys Johnston, wife of Hylton Stanley Johnston.
The house is listed as an item of local significance on the [http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_reg/hlep2012349/sch5.html](Hawkesbury Local Environmental Plan 2012)
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published