Windsor Public School is located in Christie Street, Windsor, New South Wales.
Windsor Public School in the 1880s
Following a meeting in the Windsor School of Arts on 11 March 1868 an application was made to the New South Wales government for the provision of a public school. The foundation stone was laid by Henry Parkes (later Sir Henry) with a silver trowel. The official opening by Parkes was attended by some 500 people and took place on 21 February 1870. The school remains on its original site and has grown substantially from the initial enrollment of fifty pupils. A marker near the corner of Christie and George Streets records the height of the 1867 flood waters.
Excerpt from the Sydney Morning Herald, 9 January 1869, page 6 advertising the tender for the construction of the Windsor Public School
Operated as a public school from February 1870 until August 1890, then as a superior public school from August 1890 until March 1913, then as a public school from March 1913 until present.
A class 2 public school in Christie Street, Windsor, NSW, 2756.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published