Also known as Windsor Water Scheme.
After much discussion by Windsor Municipal Council, construction of a reticulated water supply for the town of Windsor commenced on the 31 July 1889. The project was completed the following year and the water commenced flowing on the 9 January 1890.
A principal component of the scheme was the elevated cast iron water reservoir and filtration system which still stands in Fitzgerald Street, Windsor and had a capacity of about one million litres. The plaque records the names of F. J. Mortley, Mayor of Windsor and John F. Sharkey, Civil Engineer of Sydney who was in charge of the construction work. Together with the Windsor Water Pumping Station situated on the riverbank at the lower end of Johnston Street, the Windsor Waterworks is listed on the State Heritage Register and the Sydney Water Heritage and Conservation Register.
See full text of article on the history of Windsor Waterworks by Leanne Alessi (nee Mortley) 130th Anniversary Turning of First Sod for Windsor - final.pdf
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published